Why this blog?

Reason For the Blog

Hello, my name is Steve. I am a middle-aged husband and a father of one beautiful girl. The reason for this blog is two-fold. First, by posting whats happening in my life in regards to the activity and treatment for my gastroparesis (gp) then I feel it is likely that some information from this blog may be of aid to someone who is also suffering from gp, aka "the stomach flux" everyday of their lives. The second reason I created this blog is so I may express what's going on in my gp-life. By typing away my frustrations I feel my self relaxing, both physically and emotionally. Feel free to send me any comments or advise you may have. Shalom.

Pages

Gastroparesis Awareness

Gastroparesis Awareness
Gastroparesis Awareness

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Gastric Emptying Update



Hello all.  I thought you may want an update regarding my involvement with the University of Michigan Hospitals (U of M).  So here goes...

We (both the hospital staff and myself) have been working hard to get my body "healthy enough" to start AND finish the Gastric Emptying Exam which is performed by the Nuclear Medicine Department at U of M.  Twice now I have been set to go through the six hour test at the hospital.  This process would include eating of scrambled eggs w/ a nice dose of radiation, some toast and Jelly and a bottle of water.  After eating, I was/am to swallow a large capsule which is the "smart pill". 

Test meal.


The first trip to U of M was two weeks ago.  I spent the entire morning retching and vomiting.  The Nuclear Medicine team stated that I cannot go through the test while I am so acutely ill.  SO we postponed until yesterday.

Upon waking at 5.30 AM I checked my blood glucose levels as instructed by the U of M staff.  My level was 322, fasting!! I knew I was going to be in trouble all due to my super high sugar level.  I remembered that glucose levels could not be over 270 if I wanted to be in the test.  



Long story short, I am awaiting instructions from U of M.  Please pray that I am not kicked out of the study for being too ill.

No comments:

Post a Comment